What is a Sensory Bin?
A sensory bin is basically a large tub or container filled with materials that stimulate the senses. They are great for toddlers & preschoolers and will keep them entertained for hours. Below is a starter sensory bin to get you going, but feel free to change up the items!
Basics for a Starter Sensory Bin
- 12qt Dishpan from Target – $1.99
- 4lbs pinto beans from Target – $4.09 (start with 4lbs, but feel free to add more)
- Mine came from Hy-Vee but I am linking to a similar one at Target in case there is not a Hy-Vee in your area)
- Craft Pom Poms from Target – $1.99
- I found mine during the holiday season, but I am linking you to a similar one; check the Dollar Spot at Target for more options
- Scoopers – cost varies
- My sand shovel and sand rake came from the Dollar Store, but according to the Dollar Tree’s website, they won’t have beach toys until March.
- In place of a sand shovel or rake, you can use a spaghetti server or a large kitchen spoon.
- Other options (more expensive): Learning Resources Handy Scoopers; Click N’ Play 13 Piece Sand Castle Mold Kit
- Optional: Towel
- I would recommend putting one underneath the bin as it makes for an easier clean-up; however, this is optional.